Sunday, February 11, 2007

You Never Know


"Don’t count every hour in the day, make every hour in the day count."


A day, a week, a month, a year, 5 years, twenty years, or more. Time. The clock is ticking. With yesterday’s passing I have one more day on this earth. How many more I have….nobody knows.

So, how do I live my life….I don’t know how much time I have left. I don’t know how much time people I love have left.

Lets look at it this way.

If I had ONE DAY left, I would spend as much time with my family as I could. I’d try to ensure my daughters understood the important things in life and stayed close to their mother. I’d let my close friends and family know I loved them, especially thanking my mother and father for everything.

If I had ONE WEEK left, I’d travel back home to Connecticut so I could spend the last week with all my family. Seeing them all and letting them know how much I loved them. Eating some of my favorite foods, visiting some places that rekindled fond memories of my childhood, and making sure things were lined out for the girls.

If I had ONE MONTH to ONE YEAR, I’d still have to work, but wouldn’t let work consume my life. I’d still work hard, give it my all, but wouldn’t take it home with me. I’d be on borrowed time, and when I was off work, I’d spend as much time with the girls as possible. I’d work in a couple of rounds at golf, and hopefully they would be with my father and brothers. I’d write more, and paint a couple of paintings.

If I had FIVE YEARS to live, I’d work hard to figure out how to free up more time from work to spend with my family and at the same time put them in a better financial position, so in five years, when Rebecca’s a junior in high school and Sarah is graduating from college, they are financially stable and Lori can have a comfortable life. In those five years, I’d travel back to Europe with the girls for a vacation.

If I live BEYOND FIVE YEARS, and if I live my life as if I had a day, week, month or five years left, it’s all ‘lagniappe’ as they would say in the bayous of Louisiana.

Life is not a race….it doesn’t have to be a ‘rat race’. My intention is to live life with ‘purpose’ and truly being thankful for another day, living a day at a time.

NOTE: Picture is Grandma Alma "Thelma" Theriault Dorsey, a truly loving person who has had a big impact on a bunch of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home