Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Million Dollar Man

The Million Dollar Man

Well, I told you I’d write about a friend of mine who made a million in four years. Here is the story.

Back in 1997 when I was working at Rohm and Haas I met a fellow, I’ll call Marco. Marco worked for HydroChem and I met him at lunch as he and a couple of others were talking to me about how HydroChem could help reduce our plants industrial cleaning costs.

Fast Forward to July 2001. That lunch in 1997 was the only time I met Marco until July 2001. I had recently left Rohm and Haas to work with HydroChem. I went up to New Jersey to participate with HydroChem and their customers in a regional customer golf outing. Who do I see there? You guessed it, Marco.

“Hey Dave, remember me?” he asked, genuinely glad to see me again.

Vaguely I recalled that meeting 4 years earlier.

Over the next few months we began to work closer together and develop a friendship. In 2002 Marco read a book on options and told me I should read it. I said, “Send it to me!” I never got it. I spoke with him again, he told me about. I said, “Copy it and send it!” I never got it. He already loaned it out. Over the next couple of years he told me he was doing pretty good………never HOW GOOD.

Now it is 2006. He is back here with HydroChem in the Houston area. He is down visiting me in Freeport. I am telling him some of my dreams for the next few years, things I want to accomplish (The Challenge) and like a friend, he listens and encourages me.

He then tells me he needs to get me involved in the option system he is using. He said it was working well for him. He then tells me how well.

He says Dave, “I moved up to Delaware with $30,000 in my 401K and enough for a down payment on a house. Last year I went over $1,000,000.” I started thinking about that darn book.

I said “Marco’” with the excitement of a kid in a candy store, “we need to have dinner this week and you need to explain it to me.”

Two nights later we had dinner together and he went through the process. Here were his returns on his investment. In 2002 he made 52% on his money, 2003 56%, 2004 74%, and 2005 91%. Needless to say I got pretty excited. Right now he is making about $20K - $25K return. In 48 months he had three months where he had a negative %.

Well, I’m in. I’ll keep you posted.

NEWS

Sarah turns 16 tomorrow, the 23rd. Everything is going well. I look forward to hearing from you.


Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home