Sunday, July 15, 2007

Cold Butter



“I don't have pet peeves, I have whole kennels of irritation”
--Whoopi Goldberg


Cold Butter

Making some toast this morning I had to take a stick of butter out of the refrigerator. As I tried to slide the butter knife into it, the butter somehow in its wisdom diverted the knife sideways allowing me to slam the knife into the butter dish.

Sometimes the simplest things in life can be frustrating….or maybe we just allow them to make it so.

How many times do we get aggravated over the simplest things? Events or issues fairly unimportant but we make them into critical situations. That stick of butter got me thinking. If someone were home this morning I would have griped. But it was just me. I couldn’t gripe to my self, so I thought about it.

It wasn’t going to melt fast enough, I was going to tear up the toast putting it on, it wasn’t going to be as easy as I wanted. Okay…..so what.

We sometimes work ourselves up over nothing, and obsess on minutia. These pet peeves as they are called, these minor annoyances, can instill extreme frustration. Typically each of us have several pet peeves that aggravate us more than the average person. These frustrations can sometimes affect our state of mind, relationships, and mental health if not controlled. Why let cold butter ruin the start of a beautiful day?

The cold butter was a little lesson I needed this morning. It’s me that needs to soften up some, not the butter. Deciphering what really is my bent way of looking at things, and let all the trivial annoyances not get to me anymore is something I need to work on. Maybe we can all look at those ‘pet peeves’ of ours and work on minimizing them and ‘lighten up’ our lives.

With all that said, don’t let me catch you parking in a handicap spot!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home