Sunday, December 21, 2008

Realizations













"There can be hope only for a society which acts as one big family, not as many separate ones." Anwar El Sadat

On Friday I stopped by a local church to see if there was something I could do to help a family in need. I had to build up a little nerve to go into a local Seabrook church and ask to speak with the pastor. After riding by one, I came to the second and it was still vacated due to Hurricane Ike. I swung back around and went to the one I already passed.

As I parked my car I noticed Kroger was just a walk away. Not having any money in my pocket, I figured I’d see how I could help, go to the Kroger ATM and return back with a cash donation.

As I walked in a sweet elderly lady, I’d say she was in her late 70’s, met me at the door. I asked her if the pastor was in to speak with and she said no. Not knowing what I wanted, she kindly directed me to the receptionist.

Usually I don’t have a problem with words coming out of my mouth, but this time I did. Emotions in me were pretty high. With tears welling up in my eyes I asked the receptionist if there was people in the community in need where I can make a donation. She went on to say, “Most people are going to Target and Walmart and getting gift cards.” Intuitively I knew where she was going. She continued, “That way we can give them to the parents to buy gifts for their kids.”

I responded I was really looking to help people with food to make sure they eat. She made it clear that they had plenty of food in the building next door. I said thanks, and left.

It wasn’t I don’t care about kids getting toys for Christmas, but I wanted to make sure people aren’t hungry and help those with more immediate needs.

I called the Interfaith Caring Ministry to see if they were open. A few years back I donated time delivering groceries for them every third Saturday. I knew as part of their ministry they were putting food on peoples’ tables regularly. They covered more ground that just the town of Seabrook, but I knew they were helping people with their immediate needs.

I got some cash, drove over to their facility, and dropped off the money. The woman was very thankful telling me this would help buy meat. What caught me off guard was while I was there a family was there getting some food. As I walked out to my car, I was overcome by another wave of emotion, tears, and a heaviness in my heart, knowing that many people are out there needing help and a feeling I can being doing more to help.

I told Lori last night I’d like to make something up symbolizing those Pair of Socks. Each day I need to be reminded to be thankful and helpful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home