Saturday, September 13, 2008

How is He Today?



“The one who understands does not speak; the one who speaks does not understand”
Chinese Proverb


As I was watching Hurricane Ike spin into and begin to ravage the Houston area and our home in Seabrook from a quaint little restaurant and bar in Destin, Florida I couldn't help think about one of Seabrook's residents.

I don't know him, just seen him over the last 12 years since we've moved to Texas back in 1996. He rides his bicycle around town loaded with bags and stuff. He dresses in a heavy wool coat and wears a heavy hat with flaps that fold over the ears, the type a duck hunter would wear. It could be 95 degrees out and you'll still see him dressed with the winter wear. With a grey beard, weather worn face, I'd say he is about 65 years old.

I didn't know his name until I was talking to my daughter about him last night, mentioning I was wondering how he was doing. She knew his name. Slim. Slim somewhat reminds me of a guy who rode a three wheel bike around my hometown of Plainville, Connecticut. His name was Joe, we called him Joe-Joe. (Hope he is still riding his bike.) He often would turn down our street while we were playing baseball or football on the road and he would talk with us.

Nicest guy in the world Joe-Joe. He couldn't drive as he did some mental retardation that limited what he could do. So, as a kid growing up you understood why he rode his trike.

As for Slim, I don't know his situation. I hear he is married with a child and has plenty of money. I hear he will not talk to anyone.

As I wait for news on how bad we were flooded, I think of Slim. I hope he made it out okay. I hope to say hello to him one day. At least I hope to see him on that bike one day soon.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe is still riding that three wheel bike around Plainville. Once in awhile I'll see him at Gnazzo's at the bottle return.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home