Sunday, December 08, 2013

Lessons from the Heart

"The lessons this life has planted in my heart pertain more to caring than crops, more to Golden Rule than gold, more to the proper choice than to the popular choice."  - Kirby Larson,  Hattie Big Sky 2006


I decided to go down to the lobby of the Pullman Plaza Hotel to get some work done before we headed out that morning with Rebecca as she would be finalizing a few things before her first day at school.  The lobby would give them more space in the room and allow me to have quick access to some much needed coffee.  As I sat comfortably in the lobby pounding away on my laptop getting some work done and emails out I had started to hear some piano music mid-morning.

My thoughts were intensely focused the work at hand, so I didn't really know how long that piano music had been filling the air, but when I did notice I couldn't help turn my focus to it.  The music was coming from behind me somewhere, but as I turned to try and see where it was coming from I could not tell.   I knew on the other side of the wall as you approach the restaurant side of the hotel and alternative entrance there was another lobby area with a grand piano there.

The music was wonderful; classical.  I didn't know if the pieces were Mozart, Beethoven, Bach or Wagner, but I did know they were beautifully done.  They were so well done the only thing I could think of is that the piano had an auto player.  As I listened to the transitions between the keys and the quick movements I wouldn't think there were be a master piano player playing there at 9:30am.    I had to get up and go take a look.

I was stunned.  There she was, the frumpy looking lady who was seated next to me, drinking coffee in the lobby near the reception area.  I remember walking by her earlier as I was refilling a cup and slightly nodding to her in a little gesture to say hello.  I didn't get a response, but didn't think anything of it other than she looked as it she came in off the street for a cup of coffee.

I watched her as she played, I was mesmerized by her hands and the graceful movement across the keys.  I noticed she knew her work so well I didn't even see her reading the music sheets, her eyes were dropped down looking upon the keys.   

I walked up on the side of her and placed five dollars in the glass bowl on the top right of the piano.  She didn't glance up, she didn't say hello.

After several minutes of watching her and enjoying her talent, I went back to the other side to get back to work.  As I walked by the reception desk I said something to the valet and receptionist about how I thought that was a machine playing the piano and was surprised how well that lady had played.  They were quick to let me know, 'she is blind'.

Wow!  I had wondered why she didn't look at me when I put the money in the bowl.   I was surprised to see she wasn't reading any sheet music.   When I first saw her I thought she was in off the street drinking some of the hotel coffee.

There is a lot to say about not reading a book by it's cover, but the more I thought about this lady after hearing she was blind and listening to her music I started to think about what each of have within us.  The talents God has given us waiting to bust out in some form or fashion.  How we uncover our talents is a process of trial and error, and listening to our hearts.  It understanding there are things you can be good at and others you can be great at if we shape our talents with our heart.   I learned so much from this lady I hope when day I am back there I can hear her play again…ask her for her name.…tell her thank you…..

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done - thanks for sharing Dave. Kevin H.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home