Monday, July 27, 2015

Fisher of Men

And He said unto them, Follow Me, and I will make You fishers of Men.  - King James Bible


It was the 4th of July.  I was up early that Saturday morning to get some pictures at Sylvan Beach in La Porte hoping to capture some shots that would be used in a soon to be published La Porte Chamber of Commerce directory.  I was hoping for a spectacular sunrise with the Sylvan Beach fishing pier in the foreground.

It was a little after 5am, and with the sunrise at 6:26am, I had plenty of time to find the spot I thought would give me the best angle.  I was anxious, and hopeful, to capture something special.

To my disappointment, when I arrived at the park gate to the pier, there was a long line of trucks with trailered boats to get in.  The gate was locked.  With another boat ramp just to the west, I decided to see if that one was open.  Gladly, I found it open, headed in and parked.  My objective was to find a way to walk along the shore around the fence to the fishing pier.

In the dark of the morning, I walked across the grass headed to the bay’s shore. The banks were heavily reinforced with large rocks and a long fence line prevented me from getting to where I wanted to go.  So I turned back and would figure out what to do next as I waited for the park gate to open.

As I made my way back to the my vehicle, off to the right in the darkness was a person sleeping on a  concrete picnic bench.  I immediately assumed it was a homeless person, as there were two shopping carts full of ’stuff’ alongside the bench of the picnic table.  

I was somewhat taken back with myself with not noticing him as I first walked in.

As I was starting to pull away, I thought about going back to the McDonald’s I passed about 1/2 mile away and picking up some breakfast and leaving it for him. I talked myself out of doing that and headed over to see if the pier had opened.

I then caught myself and thought, “Hey, God put that thought in your head to get that person some food, just do it.”   So, I headed over to McDonalds and ordered two medium coffees, two sausage and egg McMuffins, and an orange juice.  I’d only have a coffee.

As I drove over to deliver the breakfast, I thought about what kind of encounter I may have with this person. Always cautious, I did have some concerns.  I also thought wouldn’t it be weird if I knew this person and could I have been partially responsible for that person being homeless.  ‘Could it be someone who use to work with us I let go in the past.”  My conscience was working hard.

I pulled in, stopped my vehicle, grabbed the tray with the coffee, juice and bag of breakfast sandwiches and walked over to leave them.  As I got within 15 feet or so, I could only tell the person had their head covered and were facing away, somewhat sleeping in a half fetal position.  In a moderate tone, I said “Good Morning, I have some breakfast, for you.”  I wanted to somewhat give a warning I was coming and not cause alarm.

As I was placing them down on the bench, the only thing not covered that I could see was light brown long wavy hair, and I assumed it was a woman.   Then in a soft, tender,  tone, with her face away from me, from under the covers she simply said “Thank You”.   She never moved.

I turned around and never looked back. I felt like somewhat I intruded on her and hoped she could get back to sleep if I had waked her.  

As I drove away I was overcome with emotion and tears started flowing down my eyes.   She sounded as young as one of my daughters, and my heart felt for her.  I prayed for her.  I thanked God for sending me there and I only hoped I could do more.  I thanked God my daughter’s don’t have the struggles this young lady has.

As I look back, it was in search of something I was looking for, and didn’t find, I only was able to see something more worthwhile.  And although I didn’t capture that spectacular sunrise that morning, I was able to give something away - it wasn’t the breakfast, but it was the love of God and through that, I felt thankful and blessed.  No shot I take will ever capture that.  



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great example Dave - thanks for sharing - Kevin H. (LFW)

1:26 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Good inspiration

9:23 PM  
Anonymous سما المثالية said...

شركة متخصصة فى الخدمات المنزلية بالمملكة العربية السعودية
شركة سما المثالية 0535609607
تقدم لكم شركة سما المثالية خدمات داخل المملكة العربية السعودية بالرياض والدمام والاحساء والقصيم
الخبر القطيف الجبيل راس تنورة سيهات صفوى
شركة عزل اسطح بالاحساء


7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home