Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Server


"He profits most who serves best."  
    ~ Arthur F. Sheldon

A rainy New Year’s Eve morning having breakfast at IHOP rekindles thoughts of writing this out, but then at then end of my visit this morning, I am compelled to tell this story.

A few weeks back, at the same IHOP, I ordered a short stack of pancakes, nothing fancy.  When my order was brought to the table the server brought with it hot syrup from the kitchen.  I didn’t ask for it but I thought it was great service.  She could have just let me use my choice of one of the cold syrups on the table.   She checked back and asked if everything was okay, got my check timely, and off I went.

The following week I had a different waitress.  Short stack.  No hot syrup. No how you doing….is everything okay?  Didn’t bring my check and I had to go to register without it.

Those two different encounters had me start thinking about ‘THE SERVER’ versus ‘THE WAITER’. 
The waiter waits tables.   Takes an order.  Delivers your order.  Mechanically going through the motions. No personal connection. No thinking ahead.

The Server serves people. They are there to greet, connect with you, make it an experience you enjoy. The Server will ensure your order is well prepared and complete. Their heart and mind is in what they do. They are thinking ahead, trying to predict what the customer may need. They care!

Then my thoughts turned internal, me, my life.  Am I a waiter or server?   Do I wait on others, or go through the motions?  How does my family see me?  Friends?  Co-workers?  Are they getting all of me or just a superficial me?

How does God see me?  Am i going through the motions?  Am I serving God?

This morning was my third time back, and my Server (same from the first week) brought me coffee and I ordered a short stack.  Told her today was I holding off on the meat….need to start watching what I eat.  She quickly came back and asked, ‘Want Harvest Grain pancakes and light syrup?’  

 I responded, ‘Don’t think I am going that far yet.’    Got a little chuckle out of her.

She brought me the pancakes with the little scoop of butter on top and asked, ‘Is that too much butter?’    Again she was wanted to be sure everything was as I wanted it.

‘That is fine.’  I responded and carried on with reading a book and eating.

And then there it is….in this book I am reading I hit a section on being a SERVANT and the SERVER v. WAITER thought hits me even harder, so I grab my napkin and start writing some thoughts.  Then I say to myself before I leave I really need to tell her how good of of a job she does.

The restaurant started to get busy, the check was already on the table, and I didn’t think I’d get the opportunity to commend her on how well she serves her customers.  I was sadly going to miss this opportunity to really thank her.

As I was paying a young lady at the register, my SERVER pops up behind me and asks if I wanted any coffee to go.   WOW!!   That moment just presented itself……coincidence?

I then went on and told her how great of a job she does and how she is different than those who wait tables.  

She tells me, ‘I love what I do.  I’ve had other jobs, I’ve worked in a refinery, but I really like what I do.   I try to treat everyone the best I can and I hope to have repeat customers.’

WOW AGAIN!!!

I said goodbye and as I was walking out the young cashier looked at me with shock in her eyes as if she never heard that kind of conversation before. Hopefully it was a life lesson to her.

I jumped in my car and the tears just started flowing - can’t really say why.   All I know is I had a hard time driving the next quarter of a mile due to the visibility and it wasn’t the rain.  All I could do is thank God for what just happened.   

I am glad I didn’t write this out two weeks ago.  This morning listening her tell me how much she loved what she was what she ended up with SERVING me. She reminded me all good things come from the heart and are seeded with love.  Her heart is beautiful, and her beauty comes out in SERVING. 

I must be more SERVING!    Maybe those tears were guilt and God was softening my heart.  Maybe nothing is a coincidence!!

SERVE ONE ANOTHER!!!  Let us in 2017 peel back layers of hardships, hurt feelings, tough upbringings and open up to love and serve one another, and I believe we all will be seeing amazing things happen in our lives.

One more thing…..take care of those who SERVE you and let them know.  And if they take tips, tip them well!!!

God Bless You All!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home