Sunday, February 17, 2008

What Really Matters?




“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”

Leo F. Buscaglia


My regular workout on the Stairmaster this morning seemed like the 30-minutes I set the timer for was going to last an eternity. Nothing good to watch on the several TV monitors the gym had suspended from the ceiling to keep my mind occupied I decided to cut the Stairmaster workout short and head over to the basketball court. At 5 a.m. and nobody else there, I thought I could get a good sweat going running back and forth doing lay-ups.

While dribbling up and down the court I found it harder to make a simple lay-up that I thought it would be. The more I loosened up the easier it got, but making those lay-ups required more concentration than I remember. As I made a few more baskets and the muscles loosened up I tried to put a few elusive moves on phantom opponents.

It took a few minutes but I finally realized I had a disconnect between my mind and body when I leaped up trying a double-clutch underhand shot to fake out that phantom defender and my feet hit the floor before I released the ball. The space I was able to create between the floor and my feet was not quite the same as 30 years ago. Discouraged – No. Motivated to keep working out and having fun – yes.

On my drive home I began to think about aging. The physical side of aging does have it’s disadvantages, no doubt. But as I reflect back over the years and look at the positive aspects of aging, and what it has done to me mentally, I feel enlightened.

I have arrived at a place in life where I am enjoying the moment more than at any other time. I am in less of a hurry and concentrate on the experiencing the fullness of the moment. I see my daughter Sarah chomping at the bit for June 6th and high school graduation and how anxious she is to have it arrive while I look back and realize I too let times go bye with a whiz not realizing to take a deep breath and really enjoy the moment.

Time has also brought more meaning to relationships with others. Having seen tragedy or illness take loved ones away has made me realize how precious life is and how little time we do have together. When I see someone who I have known in my past, who I haven’t seen in some time, I often look at that person with deeper concern, and regret. Regretting that some of these folks I haven’t give them enough of my time to get to know them better. In some cases, not even trying to get to know them.

Life is a ‘boiling down process”. In time, the things that don’t really mean much in life become less important and you begin to realize the “important stuff”. Some of us realize the “important stuff” and act upon that knowledge. Some of us don’t act, but think of acting.

Take a deep breath and enjoy it like a cold drink on a hot day. We take for granted too much until too late.

1 Comments:

Blogger moneythoughts said...

Take a look at Moneythoughts. As someone interested in investing, you might enjoy what you read.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home