Sunday, April 13, 2008

Don't Worry, Be Happy



"If I had my life to live over, I would perhaps have more actual troubles but I'd have fewer imaginary ones." ~Don Herold

Lately I have noticed the little things in life, and some of the big things, don’t worry me as much as when I was younger. Maybe it's because the younger you are, the more you feel you can control events. Also, the experience of a problem or predicament when younger seems huge because we have less to relate to; few experiences to fall back on. The youthful experiences of girlfriends dumping you, jobs not materialize like you want, or even young parents worried about their kids falling, failing or not being happy. Maturing helps us deal with issues; if we let it.

Now at 46, I find myself thinking past the problem or issue. I’ll do what I can do when I can do it, if I can do anything at all, and know that in one week, one month, or one year that most likely whatever it was that came up will pass, get resolved, or I’d overcome.

The only one issue that should all give us serious concern is health. The health of a loved one or our own. When health issues confront us on a serious nature, if we have already programmed ourselves to not let worry pull us down, we can confront health issues in a positive manner and get through them in many cases. Our positive attitude will also help others through their ordeal. Norman Cousins was a great example of how he managed through his illnesses with laughter as a medicine. Read up on him; a great story.

The stress related to worry is a killer. Minimize it in your life, and help others do the same. Think positively and confidently through life’s trials. Like I told Lori yesterday, ‘what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.’ ‘The strongest wood comes from trees exposed to the wind.’

Outside of health, anything pressing you today? It will pass.

If I can help let me know.

Painting: I did that one a couple of years ago. Reminds me a little of when I lived in Germany. I lived in a farm house built in the 1600's which had it's own church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home